[THIN] Re: Licensing

  • From: Minero Hector B DLVA <MineroHB@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 14:55:59 -0500

The following is a summary of several responses I got from the list a few
months ago.  This solution worked for me, and it may be worth
a try for you.  As always, be very careful when working with the registry:
(Thanks to all people that responded, especially Bruce Pfeifer).

How Licensing Works for Non-Windows Clients:
Because non-Windows clients do not contain a registry, an alternative
solution  was developed:
When a non-Windows client connects to a MetaFrame session for the first
time,  the target MetaFrame server to which they connect requests a TS CAL
from the  license server. Then, instead of passing the TS CAL to the
non-Windows client,  the CAL is stored in that MetaFrame server's registry,
beneath HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\MSLicensing\.  Whenever the
non-Windows client returns to that MetaFrame server, no license  request is
necessary because the license already exists in that MetaFrame server's
registry.
If the same non-Windows client then connects to a second MetaFrame server
in the same domain, the second MetaFrame server requests a CAL from the
license  server as before. However, because the license server has already
issued a CAL  for that client, the same CAL is re-issued to the second
MetaFrame server. This scenario assumes that all MetaFrame servers share a
single common Terminal Services Licensing server.
In both cases, the non-Windows ICA Client is not reached by the Terminal
Services License server directly. The target MetaFrame server requests a TS
CAL from the license server on the client's behalf and then retains a copy
of the TS CAL for future use. Over time, all MetaFrame servers in a
load-balanced farm will contain copies of the TS CALs for all non-Windows
clients.

This might help with your license problem:

We have had situations where the WTS-LS would issue a Temp CAL for a Unix
device but the registry on the WTS server would never get updated  to a full
CAL. Then once that Temp CAL expired the user on that device could no longer
login to the particular WTS server that housed the expired CAL in the
registry. (I suspect that the second login was to a different WTS server,
and it and all subsequent servers registered a full CAL for that device on
those MF servers.)

To resolve the problem we would have to search for the CAL and delete it.
(which is a pain in itself as the device name is not stored in the registry
in clear text.)  Logging back into the WTS server from the same device would
generate a new registry entry for that device (a full CAL), the WTS-LS would
not issue a new or duplicate CAL for that device.

This makes me think that the WTS-LS some how kept track of the non Windows
devices, issuing only one CAL per device??  Microsoft or Citrix may have to
jump in and explain it to us.

FYI, to locate the CAL within the registry on a MetaFrame server for a
specific device follow these steps.

Open Regedt32 and open the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\MSLicensing
hive
From the registry menu select "Save SubTree as"  then select Text file and
save with as temp.txt
Open temp.txt in note pad and open Edit - find   Search for the device name
or a portion of the name, in the format of leter.leter.leter.
for example if the device name is "bert"  search for "b.e.r.t"  if this
string is not found you will have to try a portion of the name (as in the
text file there it may be broken on to two different lines) such as "b.e.r"
or "e.r.t" .
Once you find the device name in the text fie you will be able to determine
the key name that it resides in.

What we had to do was delete the key it self "License00x" (which is a subkey
under Citrix\MSLicensing\Store) and then delete the value of the same name
directly in the Key Citrix\MSLicensing.

Hector Minero
NSWCDD Code K55
Ph: (540)653-8859