[THIN] Re: Kix and windows 2000 folder redirection

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:12:45 -0000

I redirect My Documents to a UNC using Kix to write the registry value.

The reason why I do this in particular (ie via Kix rather than GPO) is that
I want to be more conditional than GPOs would generically let me.

The way I'd think of it, is that if GPOs are possible for what you want to
do - use them.

If you need to fill in the blanks, or do something more clever, scripting
seems a reasonable proposition. And at the end of the day, there's no magic,
here - all GPOs (or an policies for that matter) are doing is writing
registry values. If for whatever reason, scripting addresses your needs more
comprehensively, there's nothing wrong in that approach.

Going back to the days of Winframe, it was the only choice - there were no
policies, merely upedit, regedt32, and scripting.

Neil

recipient(s) only and are confidential and may be privileged.
If they have come to you in error you must take no action based
on them, nor must you copy or disclose them or any part of
their contents to any person or organisation; please notify the
sender immediately and delete this e-mail and its attachments from
your computer system.

Please note that Internet communications are not necessarily secure
and may be changed, intercepted or corrupted. We advise that
you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us
and we will not accept any liability for any such changes,
interceptions or corruptions.

Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and its
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping
with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they
are actually virus free.

Copyright in this e-mail and attachments created by us belongs
to Littlewoods.

Littlewoods takes steps to prohibit the transmission of offensive,
obscene or discriminatory material.  If this message contains
inappropriate material please forward the e-mail intact to
postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and it will be investigated.
Statements and opinions contained in this e-mail may not
necessarily represent those of Littlewoods.

Please note that e-mail communication may be monitored.

Registered office:
Littlewoods Retail Limited,
Sir John Moores Building,
100 Old Hall Street,