[THIN] Re: Kiosk Workstation

  • From: "Jim Hathaway" <JimH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:07:53 -0700

Greg,

Just some thoughts . . .

How can you plan to utilize the Pnagent when you don't plan on
installing or configing the Web interface anywhere in the site?

The default setup of the Pnagent works off the URL of a WI site to pull
it's available app list. If the site doesn't have a WI server somewhere
. . then you'd need to manually config the config.xml for the Pnagents.
Why bother with that when the WI doesn't cost anything other than server
power to install and run? (it also auto configs the config.xml for you
based on what you define in the WI admin site). Aside from all of this .
. . WI 3.0 supports multiple MF farms.

When faced with a similar type of environment for one of our clients, we
setup their XP embedded thin terminals to autologin locally (workgroup
no domain) and then auto launch a Kiosk mode IE window that goes direct
to their internal Web interface site. This is the first and only login
the end user ever sees for accessing applications.

Kiosk mode IE = "Iexplore.exe -k Http://WIsite.local.domain";

I like the Pnagent a lot personally, but I'm not sure that it's the
correct solution for your design here.