[THIN] Kernel mode print driver issue

  • From: "Rallo, Tony" <Tony.Rallo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:27:09 -0600

Wondering if anyone has this situation or if anyone has seen this issue.  I
am building a new 2003/MFXPe FR3 environment on HP blades.  We use Citrix
mainly for our billing system and the issue I am having is with the Epson
Receipt printer attached to the POS computers.  The printer is old and uses
a very old print driver.  There is no update to the driver that I could
find.  Here are the details:

Printer:  Epson TM-T85
Driver:  Epson TM-T85 Full Cut
OS:  Windows 2003
MetaFrame: XPe with all available hotfixes
Farm Print settings:  Use universal driver only when native is not available

Problem:
Windows 2003 by default does not allow kernel mode print drivers so the
policy has to be enabled to allow them to be installed.  The driver installs
fine once the policy is setup to allow the driver install.  When the user
connects, the printer is mapped to the universal driver instead of the
native Epson TM-T85 Full cut driver.  When I try to connect the printer
through windows print manager, it says it can not connect to the printer
because the printer name is invalid.  Citrix printer config simply says it
can not connect to the client printer.  The universal driver prints the
receipt, however it prints very light and looks like the printer is almost
out of ink.  It is, unfortunately, not acceptable to use.

The catch:
When I set the server to use FR2 instead of FR3, the printer maps to the
Epson TM-T85 driver like it is supposed to - it does NOT map to the
universal driver.  The receipt prints perfectly and does not look like the
printer is out of ink.

I have tried mapping the printer to itself in the management console but
that will not work either.  I have tested with other drivers and always have
the issue with any driver in the M:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\2
directory.  Everything in the M:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3
directory works just fine.

I can not keep the servers at FR2 because Citrix does not support that on
Windows 2003 so I have to get this fixed.  I have a case open with Citrix,
but I was hoping someone out there has seen this.  Any help is appreciated.

Anthony Rallo
Systems Engineer
773-399-7552
tony.rallo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

US Cellular
Bensenville Office

This Week's Sponsor - Emergent Online 99Point9.com
EOL THINssentials? Bring You TRUE Universal Printing Solutions
and Time Zone Support. EOL delivers any print job, any
time zone, to any client, over Any protocol (ICA or RDP)!
http://www.99point9.com/public/products/index.asp