[THIN] Java problems

  • From: Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:05:35 -0700

HI All,

We run a scheduling product called Appworx that, like the CMC, the admin
interface is Java-based.  Out of 11 metaframe servers, it only works on
two.  I get a bunch of Java errors like this:

ErrorMsg: E005009 RMI connection failure (10/20/03 12:56 PM)
Details: Can not access RMI Server.
Server may not be running.
java.rmi.RemoteException: rmi://192.168.5.57:1099/AxRmiServer; nested
exception is:
      java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: 192.168.5.57;
nested exception is:
      java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
      at com.appworx.client.screen.util.Loader.o(DashoA5946:986)
      at com.appworx.client.screen.util.Loader.init(DashoA5946:244)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host:
192.168.5.57; nested exception is:
      java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
      at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPEndpoint.newSocket(Unknown Source)
      at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection(Unknown Source)
      at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(Unknown Source)
      at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.newCall(Unknown Source)
      at sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl_Stub.lookup(Unknown Source)
      at com.appworx.client.screen.util.Loader.o(DashoA5946:977)
      ... 3 more
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
      at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
      at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
      at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketFactoryImpl.createSocket(Unknown
Source)
      at
com.appworx.server.sslrmi.SSLRMIClientSocketFactory.createSocket(DashoA5946:96)
      ... 9 more

I must fess up.  I practice bad change control.  Most of my servers are at
different levels of something or other.  I have Java 1.3.1 to Java
1.4.1_05.  Appworx works on the lowest and the highest versions.  I've
installed different versions on problem servers to see if it fixes things.
Nope.

I am almost tempted to say I have a ecurity issue because one of the things
this does is bring down a certificate.  Just so happens that the metaframe
servers with this problem also have problems with Compaq Remote Insight
Boards (which also use certificates and also use Java).

Any ideas?  All servers are W2K SP3 XPe.  FR levels are 2 and 3 (both of
which work).  Working servers may/may not have more MS hotfixes that
others.  I can't find a common thread.

adam

This Week's Sponsor - NetX Inc.
NOT all of your data resides at the server, can you backup and restore every PC
in your company including remote systems ? FlexSafe protects your
organization's data with client backup and recovery. Snapshots take just a few
minutes, even for notebook users who connect through a dial-up modem.
http://www.netxinc.com/product_flexsafe.asp