[THIN] JVM Question or M$ does it to me again

  • From: "Raffensberger, Stephen D (Stephen) %" <raff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 15:43:19 -0400

Environment: Nfuse 1.7 configured for Java clients and MetaFrame 1.8 SP3

Nfuse queries the browser for the OS and browser. If it sees Windows and IE, it
downloads the Java ICA client in .CAB file format assuming that the user has
the MS JVM. If it finds Windows and Netscape, it downloads .JAR files instead.
All this works pretty well...not 100% but pretty well.

Anyone who's updated their Windows XP to SP1a no longer has MS JVM and can't
get it. Loading Sun JRE is easy enough but Nfuse still downloads .CAB files
(because it still sees Windows and IE). JRE won't accept them and the user
can't get into MetaFrame. As a workaround, I've been suggesting users install
Netscape but that's not a real solution because users might be coming in from
an airport kiosk or internet cafe'.

Microsoft's solution: Upgrade Nfuse 1.7 to .NET.
<http://www.microsoft.com/java> If you're the poor user sitting in front of the
browser, there's nothing you can do.

Without getting into how this makes me feel towards Microsoft, has anyone come
up with a good solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Steve Raffensberger
Computer Aid serving Agere Systems
Mailto: raff@xxxxxxxxx