[THIN] Re: Instant Messenger

  • From: Spriggs Jon <Jon.Spriggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:40:25 +0100

In addition, if you use Jabber (see www.jabber.org <http://www.jabber.org> )
there are lots of free servers for windows, linux, unix, etc. as well as
commercial servers (if support is required). There are also lots of free and
commercial clients out there, for windows, java, anything really.

If it would help, you can also create "bots" for Jabber using PHP, Java, ...
infact any of the programming languages which can read and write XML over a
TCP/IP port to broadcast to a group of users or to respond to queries (e.g.
management could send a message to a bot saying "Uptime Server" and get a
response from the server, or a user could say "Monitor My Call" which would
then go to all available managers if a troublesome caller was on the line).
For an example of a jabber bot, look at http://edgar.netflint.net/
<http://edgar.netflint.net/>  which is a simple "Is person xyz online?" bot.
It has some other functions which can be modified - as you've got the source
code with this.

Hope this helps :)

Jon Spriggs
--
The presence of a "Fujitsu" address does not imply or assume that Fujitsu
Services, Fujitsu or any other company containing the Fujitsu name uses or