[THIN] Installing apps for TS/Citrix via console considered best practis es

  • From: Steve Parr <sparr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:23:48 -0500

I have a few remotely running Citrix boxes which it would be nice to install
apps from remote. I always felt that it was best to install all apps when
logged in right at the console with 'change user /install'. I have recently
tested by installing VNC on the Citrix box and then remotely was able to
install. This works well when Hotfixes need to be installed. My question
really is how much of a best practice is it to install everything from the
console and how destructive may it be to the integrity of the Citrix
installation to install apps from remote provided one is still using 'change
user /install' and ensuring no other users are logged on? Also has anyone
used VNC in this fashion as it gives the remote Citrix Admin an 'at the
console' mode to do installs. Perhaps there are issues with running VNC with
Citrix or TS though I see none to date. So 2 questions - how destructive is
it not to install apps from console? And what about the VNC way of
installing apps as it puts you right at the console?

Steve Parr
Systems Analyst, Citrix and Terminal Services
Network Services, Infrastructure Support, IT
Metroland Printing, Publishing and Distributing Ltd.
phone 905-279-0440 ext.383
cell 416-219-3016