[THIN] Re: Install Remotely ICA Client

  • From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 19:03:41 +1000

Hi Anurag,

You have a number of possibilities.

The first is of course the Java ICA client, although you will have to have the
appropriate version of the Java VM installed (sun JRE for the latest ICA
client, Microsoft JVM for earlier (7.2+). Another possibility is using the
Thinstall virtualized ICA client (www.thinstall.com) although for commercial
use this costs $30 a seat.

A third possibility is an unusual one. It occurred to me that while the ICA
client technically needs admin rights to install, it's actually fairly well
self-contained if we ignore things like the single-signon service.

I tried just copying the ICA client folder into a folder in a test user's
profile and then removing the ICA client completely from a system. Then logged
on as the non-admin test user and ran PN from the %userprofile% folder. With
the exception of having to tick the EULA agreement every time PN is run, the
ICA client works fine. No single signon, but then it doesn't need an install
either.

So a zip archive with all the program files in it would do the trick. It's be
worth finding out just what we can do without to make the client smaller yet.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Volante Systems