[THIN] Importing PFX Certificates into user profile

  • From: Warren Simondson <caditc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:17:50 +1100

I think I remember someone asking how to import PFX certificates into user
profiles, whether they
be mandatory, local or roaming. On a clean up of my utilities disk I found the
following app from
the old days that lets you automate the import of a certificate in the users
private store.

The app can be download at:

 http://home.fnal.gov/~jklemenc/importpfx.html

It's call importpfx and it still works nicely for those scanarios if used in a
logon script.

IMPORTPFX v1.0 Joe Klemencic 2002

Usage: importpfx.exe -f <filename.p12> -p <export passwd> -t USER|MACHINE -s
<certstore> [-
r "Subject OU to remove" | -all]

This utility will import a PKCS12 certificate file (with a .p12 or .pfx
extension) into the certificate
store specified by the -s parameter.
The default behavior is to overwrite like certificates (if available). The -r
"Subject OU" will remove
all certificates matching the Subject CN
in from the CN in the PKCS12 file and the Subject OU set to the -r parameter.

PARAMETERS:
-f = PKCS12 filename
-p = Password to secure the private key with
-t = Store type (USER or MACHINE)
-s = The certificate store to import into (MY is a common param)

-r "Subject OU Text" = Delete all user certificates in which the Subject OU
matches the -r "Subject
OU Text" and the Subject CN matches the PKCS12 Subject CN
-r -all = Delete ALL user certificates in the <certstore>

Examples:
Import a PKCS12 file into the MY store, overwriting if allowed:
importpfs.exe -f x509.p12 -p "password" -t USER -s MY

Import a PKCS12 file into the local machine Testing store and delete any stored
certificates with a
Subject containing OU="Self-Signed CA":
importpfx.exe -f x509.p12 -p "" -t MACHINE -s Testing -r "Self-Signed CA"

Delete ALL certificates in the USER MY store:
importpfx.exe -t USER -s MY -r -all

--
Warren Simondson

Ctrl-Alt-Del IT Consultancy Pty Ltd