[THIN] Re: Imaging HP temrinals with altiris?

  • From: Angus Macdonald <Angus.Macdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:06:18 -0000

That's great Jim. Thanks a lot.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Kenzig Kenzig.com [mailto:jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 20 January 2005 15:47
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: Imaging HP temrinals with altiris?

Correct you need to boot to a PXe server, Altiris Deployment server should
of set that up for you.   You'll need to include the nics in you PXe boot
disk for those devices(e100?) and those are downloadable from the altiris
site I believe. There is a configuration utility to create a PXe boot img
called boot disk creator, run it and choose create PXe boot disk from the
left outlook style menu, also that you'll need to use to probably modify
these files like below.  You may also have to go into the bios of the units
and change the boot configuration to boot to network if it is not set that
way.
Boot disk creator sets up the following files.
Here is a sample of our config.sys file:
DEVICE=A:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=A:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS I=E000-EFFF I=D000-D900
DEVICEHIGH=A:\net\ifshlp.sys
switches = /f
rem switches = /n
DOS=HIGH,UMB
REM BUFFERS=30,0
FILES=40
STACKS=9,256
FCBS=1,0
LASTDRIVE=Z

Again we boot to ibmaster.exe (now called rdeploy.exe) to image our devices,
here is a copy of our autoexec.bat:
@echo off
set PATH=A:\;A:\dos;A:\net
REM Run the detect utility for PCI cards
cd \net
PCIdtect.exe
@echo off
set PATH=A:\;A:\dos;A:\net
set NEWCOMP=-new
REM **CHANGE THE FOLLOWING LINE TO YOUR SERVER IP
set CONIP=-ip10.1.16.1
set CONPORT=-p402
set WATTCP.CFG=A:\net
if exist bootwork.exe goto bootwork
if not exist A:\pxepatch.exe goto skippxe
A:\pxepatch
:skippxe
cd A:\net
A:\net\net initialize
A:\net\netbind.com
A:\aname.exe
A:\net\tcptsr.exe
A:\net\tinyrfc.exe
if exist A:\net\connect.dat del A:\net\connect.dat > NUL
REM ** CHANGE THE FOLLOWING LINE TO YOUR ALTIRIS USER
A:\bwlogin Administ
REM ** CHANGE THE FOLLOWING LINE AND PASSWORD TO YOUR
REM \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME <file://\\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME>
A:\net\net use F: \\DEPLOYMENT\eXpress <file://\\DEPLOYMENT\eXpress>
password /yes
a:\net\net use m: \\deployment\images <file://\\deployment\images>  ccplnt
/yes
F:
ibmaster
REM above line can be changed to Rdeploy.exe depending on your version

Startnet.bat looks like this where the shares are where we keep the images
cd A:\net
A:\net\net initialize
A:\net\netbind.com
A:\aname.exe
A:\net\tcptsr.exe
A:\net\tinyrfc.exe
if exist A:\net\connect.dat del A:\net\connect.dat > NUL
A:\bwlogin Administ
A:\net\net use F: \\DEPLOYMENT\eXpress <file://\\DEPLOYMENT\eXpress>  /yes
A:\net\net use M: \\deployment\images <file://\\deployment\images>  /yes
F:

And Stopnet.bat looks like this
c:
cd A:\net
A:\net\net use /d F: /yes
A:\net\net stop /yes

The PXe config utility will set up the boot order of how you want the device
to boot.  You  should set it up as a Bootworks initial deployment (new
image) and select the bootdisk you created.

HTH
JK

Angus Macdonald <Angus.> wrote:

I'm on the newest version from Altiris. HP don't bundle physical media any
more.
Reading other sites, it seems I need to boot the terminals using PXE, at
which point it all work automagically. Hmmm. We'll see. I'm setting up the
PXE server now.