[THIN] Re: Image Viewing Utility

  • From: "Mike MacDonald" <mike5287@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 13:55:48 -0400

Yes, there are a few things they want to do that the built-in Windows viewer
doesn't do. One detail I did leave out is the servers are Windows 2000, so
we don't have the filmstrip and thumbnail view that 2003 has in explorer.
They also want to the ability to select multiple pictures and print them on
one page.

I appreciate all the feedback - I did load Picasa on a test server and it
was interesting. I have found the following thus far:

- It detected that it was being run in a remote desktop session, which was
very encouraging, it displays a message box saying it can run in remote
desktop mode which is "Faster (but Uglier)". Remote Desktop mode is a bit
uglier, but runs okThe bad part is it displays the prompt every time you
load the program. It does not record your response anywhere in the registry
or elsewhere. There seem to be undocumented command line switches, but I
haven't been able to find one that prevents this from occurring.

- Another positive is you can customize the buttons displayed to turn off
unwanted features. In my case I turned off the "Blog This", "Web Album" and
"Order Prints" buttons. These options however stay on the context menu's.

- A negative is that it seems to use a lot of CPU. The slide-show's single
thread ate 100% of one CPU. It's bad enough to make me nervous running in
our published desktop environment.

- From what I am seeing Google's Picasa 2 is feature rich and free, but
probably best run on a desktop.

I am checking out IrfanView now. Thanks to all for the feedback.

-Mike

On 10/26/06, Melvin.Columna@xxxxxxxxx <Melvin.Columna@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is there an issue with them not being able to use the built-in *Windows Picture and Fax Viewer*?

Is it too "weak" for their purposes?  What are they looking to do?