[THIN] Re: ISP woes

  • From: "Lucas Boyken" <lboyken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:19:02 -0500

I don't know what your expirience is with local ISP's, but I have found
that it is extremely hard to help them see their problems.  Usually,
most "cheaper" ISP's save money by over populating their pipes to the
INet.  When this happens, ping times go up up up!  With that, you get
the latency that you speak of.  I have seen this problem not only
because of over populated T1's, but also because of Telco Carriers.
Sprint comes to mind for a carrier that has issues with time on their
network.  The best advice I can give you is go out and find a provider
that isn't one of the cheaper ones.  Usually, and I say this somewhat
loosely, ISP's that charge more are doing so for a reason, they are
paying for the pipes they need to properly provide connectivity to their
customers.  When ISP's do their job correctly, things work pretty darn
slick.

Respectfully,

Lucas W. Boyken
Computer Systems Associates
Account Manager / Technical Representative
lboyken@xxxxxxxxx
Company Phone:  800.222.7601
Office Phone:  515.332.2751