[THIN] Re: IE: Warn if changing between Secure and Not Secure Mode

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://Kenzig.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 14:10:09 -0800 (PST)

How about putting the server in Change user /install mode from a command prompt
and opening IE and going to the sites and answering the prompts and telling it
not to show up again and then going back into change user /execute mode?

  JK
Charles Fraser <fraserc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hello, This may be a little off topic. I have a published IE and I am trying
to suppress warnings between secure and not secure mode. I have pretty much
tried every trick I can find and have had no success. Here is what I have tired
so far.

I added the offending sites my client wants suppressed into trusted sites.
I created a local user with admin rights, I unchecked the  Warn if changing
between secure and nonsecure mode in Internter tools>Advanced>Security. I then
copied this user's profile into c:\documents and settings\Default User.
I edited the registry as per Microsoft KB 883740. I added a DWORD in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Wi   ndows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings
WarnOnHTTPSToHTTPRedirect                 Value=0
That should surpress the warning.
I also created the same Dword in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_USERS_.DEFAULT

I also created a VB script which pumps the reg setting into current users when
they log in. The setting is making it to the registry.  I took all GPO's off
for this user and still  nothing.

I don't care if the warnings are surpressed machine wide.

The enviroment is Windows 2003 SP1. If I log in as a test user and uncheck the
setting in IE > Tools > Advanced > Security it works. I am working with many
thin clients which serve as WebKiosks. What am I missing here? Is there another
way to change this setting for all users?
What am I missing here?