[THIN] Re: ICA within ICA revisited

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 08:55:35 -0400

That is how we run all our sessions here.  I think it is the best of
both worlds.  As the person running it, I get all the flexibility and
power of published apps and the users get the convenience of a full
desktop.  My users are set in their ways and they want the clock and
mail notification in the systray.  They want the My Computer and My
Documents folder to browse their files.  All my users have Neoware
terminals and using nFuse for this fell a little short.  It worked but
it was awkward.  We settled on a bare bones published desktop with the
pnagent set to run at startup.  But the apps don't bounce around server
to server.  If the published app is setup for the same server running
the desktop, it launches it from that server.

It also lets me do things like give a user an app from our test server
to test out.  I just publish it and the icon magically appears on the
desktop moments later.  No need to tell them to log off and back on to
get the new icon.  It just shows up.

If I need to install an update on one server for an app, I just pull
that server out of the published app's setup.  The users then bounce to
another server and don't get their work interrupted.  If I have to down
the app for all servers, I just disable it in the CMC and the icon
disappears from their desktop.  I don't have to chase everyone down and
tell them to stay out while I work.

From a management standpoint it is easy as well.  I made groups in AD
for each application.  There is a MS Word group, an Excel group etc.  In
the CMC I use these groups to publish the app.  Then I add the users to
that group in AD.  If we have a new user replacing someone, we can copy
an existing user account and they get all the group memberships they
need to have the same application set.  I don't have to go anywhere else
to set them up.  If an user needs access to an app they don't already
have, I just add them to the group and moments later, the icon shows up.

The only quirk I have seen is that sometimes after a user has been idle
for a while, the pnagent will forget things and all their icons will
disappear.  They have it right click it and manually choose "Application
Refresh" to get it back.  I happens to one or two people throughout the
week.

Greg

 =20