[THIN] Re: ICA & RDP on the same server? I hate licensing.

  • From: Jim Hathaway <JimH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 16:04:11 -0700

SA = subscription advantage.

All SA means (in brief) is that you have full rights to upgrade your current
Citrix software to the latest versions without additional costs to you. IE -
a base install of MF XPe and all connection licenses can be updated to MF XP
FR2 with all licenses, with no hassles from citrix.

ICA and RDP can run fine on the same server, there is however a slight
amount of memory set aside in listening state then for both connection
types.

RDP clients don't use Citrix licenses. Only MS based licenses. Citrix only
cares about ICA based connections to your servers.

It is not easy to load balance RDP connections at this point in time. .NET
should make this easier. Citrix still wins the 'ease of configuration' award
for me.

Wyse often puts out firmware updates that can allow other connection types.
I personally haven't seen a wyse that didn't have RDP built into it, but
then I havn't seen all the wyse out there. You may find an update package on
their site to allow RDP from your old terminals.

Why ICA over RDP? . . . MS is certainly narrowing the gap of the features
that Citrix can provide over MS's terminal services, but here's the short
round up of items that still hold some sway (at least in my mind):

        - ica bandwidth is certainly smaller on the wire then RDP
connections
        - ica screen refresh and performance is still better than RDP
connections, on both LAN and WAN setups.
        - Citrix's printing management and control features with Meta XP is
reproducible with other software, but still better than 3rd party stuff, and
anything native to MS TS services.
        - load balancing is 'easy' with citrix, harder to implement with
other solutions
        - Direct application access, as opposed to a full desktop isn't
always needed but can be very useful.

Bottom line, look at where MS is going with .Net, and see if it fits in with
how you envision your company's network changing in the next few years. If
it fits, bag paying for extending your SA, and begin phasing citrix out of
your organization.

HTH