[THIN] ICA & RDP on the same server? I hate licensing.

  • From: cwood@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 16:00:38 -0600

Is it possible to run ica and rdp on the same server?  Second, is it
possible to run ica and rdp on the same server to avoid purchasing a citrix
license for each rdp client (my gut reaction is that I would need a
seperate rdp farm)?

Citrix is making me nervous with their Microsoft-like licensing behavior.
I got a call because our SA is up for renewal and they promptly told me if
I didn't renew it I wouldn't be able to do it later -- I would have to buy
all new licenses.  At least that's the way I understood what he was
saying....

The only thing I use Citrix for is load-balancing and the ICA protocol for
a slew of older Wyse boxes (90 of them) that don't support RDP.  I hate to
keep SA when all of the new features they offer don't mean anything to my
'duh' Wyse boxes (greater colors, nfuse, etc).  If I don't keep SA, then I
will gradually be getting out-dated which may mean something when I end up
buying new thinclients (right now I still have 30 on the shelf I bought
used).  If it wasn't for the insanely cheap price I got these Wyse boxes
for ($20/each), I don't know if I could have justified Citrix over MS/RDP
the first time around.

If I'm only using Citrix for load-balancing and the ICA protocol (all on a
LAN), what other advantages am I getting from Citrix and why would I want
SA?  I guess I'm having a hard time justifying the SA when RDP offers the
basics.  (I think I'm losing my (citrix) religion....)  If I want to run
both RDP and ICA without buying citrix licenses for the RDP clients, do I
have to run two seperate farms?

Chris Wood
801-489-2097  -  Wencor  -  Kitco  -  Dixie Aerospace