[THIN] Re: ICA Gateway between MF 1.8 and MF XP

  • From: "Ron Oglesby" <roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:44:00 -0500

Sorry to break the bad news but this isn't going to happen. MF XP needs
to run in mixed mode. And the Gateway 1.8 was a two way thing between
1.8 servers There is no gateway feature in XP since it is not needed.
1.8 needed it since its browse list was built by broadcast and therefore
limited to the local subnet and you needed this to span subnets with the
farm. XP does not use this method so it will not work.

So the only thing to do (in your case) Is create an XP farm in mixed
mode to incorporate the 1.8 servers. At least one of the XP servers will
have to reside on the same subnet as the 1.8 servers. This will allow
you to migrate from the existing 1.8 farm to XP since Mixed mode is not
meant for long term use (best practice not longer than a month, Longest
I have seen it successful before problems start to occur 8 weeks.
Longest I have SEEN it run. 5 months but the farm was falling apart by
my standards at that point.

In anyway you are going to have to upgrade or keep two different farms.

Ron Oglesby

Senior Technical Architect

RapidApp

Office 312.372.7188