[THIN] Re: ICA Client as Windows Shell??

  • From: Mike Munford <MMunford@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'THIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <THIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 17:35:11 -0400

Upon further testing today, I've succesfully gotten this to work as expected
on an NT 4.0 Workstation...  Might be something funky with the W2k
workstation I was using to test this earlier....  Hmmm..

"Damn the Machines!!"

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:07:53 -0400
From: "Paul DeHaan" <wppad@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [THIN] Re: Ica client as Windows shell???

How about loading the OS, then killing the explorer.exe process via task
manager.  This should leave you with a blank screen.  Create a new task
in Task manager (pathToCitrix\pn.exe) see if it starts and gets the same
results ( 'Connection in Progress' animation, and then nothing).   If
so, try creating explorer.exe as a new task and see if you are right.
That is...is the application really running in the background.

HTH,
Paul

>>> MMunford@xxxxxxxxxx 09/17/02 10:19AM >>>

In the past, I've configured Win9x clients to use the ICA client as the
OS Shell (by editing the System.ini 'Shell' statement), thereby
eliminating User Access to the base OS, and directing the User into their
appropriate Metaframe session.

I'm now trying to test this out on NT workstations for another client.
On NT and Win2k, Shell replacements are handled in the registry. I've got a
test machine (W2k) that I've configured the ICA client as the Shell, but
When the application launches, I get the 'Connection in Progress' animation,
and
then nothing. I believe the session has started, but just doesn't show up on
the screen. I've tried various combinations of using 'WFCRUN32.exe',
'WFica32.exe' and 'PN.exe' as the shell with similar results...

Anybody have any thoughts or opinions???

Michael Munford
mmunford@xxxxxxxxxx
Sr. Network Engineer
NetTek, LLC.