[THIN] Re: Hyper-Threading (again!)

  • From: "Tim Mangan" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:49:49 -0400

That would be true - from a licensing perspective.  The issue being that the
OS sees the logical processors and counts double what it should.  Going to
Advanced Server is a work-around that avoids the problem.  You still have to
consider any applications licensed on a per-CPU basis.  There is a white
paper on the ms site that discusses this.  I don't have the reference handy,
but it was discussing hyper-threading and .net server RC3.  The paper also
alludes to other unspecified optimizations that are needed that are only in
XP SP1 and server 2003 (although we have not detected any actual
hyper-threading optimizations other than the licensing issue). The better
papers appear to be over on the Intel site.  I think I found the one I
mentioned as a link from Intel anyway.

...which reminds me.  We will have a white paper out shortly on our web site
regarding performance test results for hyper-threading and server 2003 on
multi-processor systems.  I'll post a link when it is up on the site.

tim
Timothy R. Mangan
Founder TMurgent Technologies
tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx