[THIN] Re: Hybrid Profile

  • From: "Ron Oglesby" <roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:16:50 -0600

Not public domain. It's a combo of a few components:
VBS logon and logoff scripts (not a big deal)
Custom COM object
Custom DLL
XML files for configuration of what reg keys to pull
And a clunky (read I wont use it) web interface for editing the XML
files.

It is faster, in my testing, than the flex profile kit and offers two
other advantages
1- Can do specific hives for specific applications (like just the word,
excel, outlook,) Meaning that a pub app from two different servers will
allow (without any re-config) you to have separate dat files for any
app, no profile over writes
2- Can save history of the dat files and the number of History objects
are configurable. So if in a session the dat file is screwed up you can
roll the user back by simply renaming one of the history dat files

Disadvantages
1- Have to hire CCS (or someone like me) to implement it since it is not
distributed (Now)
2- Will not do folders within the profile you have modify that script
yourself to copy any folders
Have to install the com objects and dll etc,=20
3- only works with 2k servers.

For a simple a env I like the flexprofilekit. For big complex farms I
like the ccs utility

Ron Oglesby
Senior Technical Architect
=20