[THIN] Re: Hybrid Profile

  • From: "Ron Oglesby" <roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:38:02 -0600

Well you COULD do it with the Office wizard but would have to implement
multiple config files (INI files) for that.

Lets look at the Office wizard.
The Profwiz will use a command line switch to read a specific INI. In
that INI you must add all of your reg locations you want to save. The
same command line will specific what File (an OPS) to dump all these
keys in.

So if I wanted to have a different OPS for Word, excel, outlook, Adobe,
whatever, I have to have a config file for each and the command has to
run once for each application (or Config file as it were)
So user A uses Outlook in one session then launches excel in another.
Changes excel, and closes it. When the user closes Outlook these changes
are over written with a new OPS.

Of course you could also use the Clientinfo utility to poll for the pub
app name then in the script run a specified Config file for that pub
app, But this is another call to a separate exe and then back to the
profwiz exe again.  But I am getting off topic.

For the Citrix one all the different configs can all be specified in a
single XML file. This XML file is parsed a single time then specific
application settings are saved based on the settings in the XML. You can
do an all encompassing OFFICE key, or break it down by word, excel, etc
(so it only runs once)

If you want to configure it you can set it up within the script to only
do a specific Config based on the pub app name (a little custom
scripting, but way faster than the profwiz at this point)

Like I said The bigger clients that have some VB skills like it. My
smaller clients like the simplicity of the profwiz even if it takes an
extra few seconds.

Ron Oglesby
Senior Technical Architect
=20