[THIN] Re: How to move user profiles?

  • From: lindaday@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 14:19:57 +0000

Wow, great ideas. Also, thanks for the type thing as I would have followed it
letter by letter. I am too new to know any better.
Thanks,
Linda

From: "Claus, Brian" <BClaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Great info Rick --  (typo in your robocopy syntax â?? itâ??s robocopy, not
rebocopy â?? I know itâ??s an obvious oneâ?¦just clarifying for Linda and
others so they are not like â??Damn ReboCopy command isnâ??t working! )

Some other quick and easy possible fixes:

Try doing some wildcard searches on your directory â?? there is probably a lot
of garbage data you can clean up.

Search for exeâ??s, MP3, mpegs, mpg, avi, zip, tmp
See if your Internet Explorer temp file directories are full â?? youâ??ll want
to keep them emptied out or at a minimum
Could even try thumbnail view searches for *.jpg and *.gif and delete any
â??offensiveâ?? content you may or may not findâ?¦

Brian Claus

From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Linda,

I'm assuming that your question refers to locally cached, non-roaming profiles,
otherwise all you'd have to do is enable the delete local profile on logoff
option to save space and I've wasted your and my time :-(

If you've got more than one local drive, it's not too hard to move the location
for new profiles from c:\documents and settings to something like d:\documents
and settings or whatever.

The profile folder location is defined under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Profilelist by the value ProfilesDirectory.

If you change this value, any new user profiles will be created under the new
profile root.

I'd strongly suggest you use robocopy to copy the profiles to a new location,
eg with the command:

rebocopy "c:\documents and settings" "d:\documents and settings" /sec /mir /r:0
/w:0

Please be aware that the local service account profiles won't be copied fully
because the registry portion of the profile, ntuser.dat, is in use).

To "fix" this problem use the regback utility from the windows resource kit
(logged in as the local administor) eg

cd /d d:\documents and settings
cd LocalService
regback ntuser.dat users S-1-5-19
cd ..\NetworkService
regback ntuser.dat users S-1-5-20

And even after copying all the profiles to the new profile folder, things still
won't quite work the way you expect.

Each user's local profile is registered as a subkey under
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Profilelist as the users SID
(security ID) and it has a value, ProfileImagePath, which will still point to
c:\documents and settings\%username%. So the operating system will still
expect/use these profiles in the old location.

At this point you've got 2 options, use delprof to delete all local profiles
and start again, or use a script to alter the ProfileImagePath value for all
locally cached profiles.

A very simple kixstart script, which assumes things like all profile names are
the loggedin username only (no ..001 or .domain extensions) to do this could be:

-----------------------
; setnewprofpath.kix - define new local profiles directory

; replace this value with your new profile folder
$newdir="d:\documents and settings\"
$regloc="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList"

$count = 0
; for all the subkeys under $regloc, get the keyname
; convert it to a username and write the new profile location

:loop1
    $usersid = enumkey("$regloc", $count)
        If @error = 0
            $userid=sidtoname($usersid)

$result=writevalue($regloc+"\"+$usersid,"ProfileImagePath",$newdir+$userid,"REG_EXPAND_SZ")
            $count = $count+1
    goto loop1
endif

:end

regards,

Rick
Ulrich Mack
Volante Systems, a division of Commander