[THIN] Re: How to move user profiles?

  • From: "Claus, Brian" <BClaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:59:51 -0500

Great info Rick --  (typo in your robocopy syntax - it's robocopy, not
rebocopy - I know it's an obvious one...just clarifying for Linda and
others so they are not like "Damn ReboCopy command isn't working! )

Some other quick and easy possible fixes:

Try doing some wildcard searches on your directory - there is probably a
lot of garbage data you can clean up.

Search for exe's, MP3, mpegs, mpg, avi, zip, tmp

See if your Internet Explorer temp file directories are full - you'll
want to keep them emptied out or at a minimum

Could even try thumbnail view searches for *.jpg and *.gif and delete
any "offensive" content you may or may not find...

Brian Claus

<mailto:bclaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

________________________________

        From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

        Hi Linda,

        I'm assuming that your question refers to locally cached,
non-roaming profiles, otherwise all you'd have to do is enable the
delete local profile on logoff option to save space and I've wasted your
and my time :-(

        If you've got more than one local drive, it's not too hard to
move the location for new profiles from c:\documents and settings to
something like d:\documents and settings or whatever.

        The profile folder location is defined under
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Profilelist by the
value ProfilesDirectory.

        If you change this value, any new user profiles will be created
under the new profile root.

        I'd strongly suggest you use robocopy to copy the profiles to a
new location, eg with the command:

        rebocopy "c:\documents and settings" "d:\documents and settings"
/sec /mir /r:0 /w:0

        Please be aware that the local service account profiles won't be
copied fully because the registry portion of the profile, ntuser.dat, is
in use).

        To "fix" this problem use the regback utility from the windows
resource kit (logged in as the local administor) eg

        cd /d d:\documents and settings

        cd LocalService

        regback ntuser.dat users S-1-5-19

        cd ..\NetworkService

        regback ntuser.dat users S-1-5-20

        And even after copying all the profiles to the new profile
folder, things still won't quite work the way you expect.

        Each user's local profile is registered as a subkey under
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Profilelist as the
users SID (security ID) and it has a value, ProfileImagePath, which will
still point to c:\documents and settings\%username%. So the operating
system will still expect/use these profiles in the old location.

        At this point you've got 2 options, use delprof to delete all
local profiles and start again, or use a script to alter the
ProfileImagePath value for all locally cached profiles.

        A very simple kixstart script, which assumes things like all
profile names are the loggedin username only (no ..001 or .domain
extensions) to do this could be:

        -----------------------

        ; setnewprofpath.kix - define new local profiles directory

        ; replace this value with your new profile folder

        $newdir="d:\documents and settings\"

        $regloc="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList"

        $count = 0

        ; for all the subkeys under $regloc, get the keyname

        ; convert it to a username and write the new profile location

        :loop1
            $usersid = enumkey("$regloc", $count)
                If @error = 0

                    $userid=sidtoname($usersid)

$result=writevalue($regloc+"\"+$usersid,"ProfileImagePath",$newdir+$user
id,"REG_EXPAND_SZ")

                    $count = $count+1
            goto loop1
        endif

        :end

        regards,

        Rick

        Ulrich Mack

        Volante Systems, a division of Commander