[THIN] Re: How many users will go on my server

  • From: "Pardee, Michael P." <MPardee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:30:02 -0500

Nick, I am going through this exercise right now.

Dell PowerEdge - Dual PIII @ 1.25GHz with 2GB of RAM.
Applications: Office2003 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook),
Publisher, Project2003, Visio2003, Reflection2003.

This is a HUGE leap for us from NT4 and Office97, but our current test bed
of 40 users on this box are thrilled.  Not just a little happy, but
thrilled.

I am on it all day, every day, and the performance is fantastic.  As an
engineer, I want to watch things - everything - when it comes to counters
and performance, but I can't get a good read on this.  There are times when
the CPU is over 80% utilization and the memory is running at 2.6GB in use
(2GB physical, remember?) and it is flying along.  There are other times
where I don't see counters that are high anywhere but we see slight pauses,
and almost always for everyone at the same time.  They are brief, 10-30
seconds, but they are sometimes there.  I have ordered another 2GB of RAM
just to watch how 2003 handles it with Terminal Services, but I am more than
a little impressed at this point.

I'm sure it's not perfect, but remember, we are coming from an NT4 world
where our quads with 4GB of RAM can't handle more than 63 users on them
because of registry quota, but that's another story in itself.

This game seems to be all about memory handling, and Windows2003 does it
better than any other MS operating system I have used in the last 18 years,
but at the end of the day the hottest stock tip out there will eventually be
Tscale.  We'll probably start bringing it in for testing in the new
environment to see just how far we can really push things.

Hope this helps.