[THIN] Re: How long?

  • From: Jim Kenzig <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 16:50:15 -0500

Mark,
That is a GREAT question. First I can tell you that the Thin list never had any
actual affiliation or spinoff from any company's list. I started the thin list
around August of 1996 when I also started a local Citrix users group here in
Cleveland Ohio. I know it is hard to believe anything this technical evolved
from the Eastern US instead of silicon valley but it did.  I got into
Citrix/Terminal Services when the library I worked for was trying to come up
with a way to give graphical Internet to our over 1/2 million patrons across
our 28 branches.  I devised a way to present a published desktop with Mozilla
with Wyse Winterminals using Citrix Winframe 1.6 (Windows NT 3.5) As far as I
know I was a Pioneer at the time and we were One of the first if not THE first
library to do it on that large of scale.

I created "The Unofficial Citrix Winframe" site in October of 1997 and started
collecting email addresses from it for which I created a makeshift mailing
discussion list on my own web server. I was already running another brain tumor
website and a Brainstem Tumor list for a year by then. We then had the list on
Onelist which turned into eGroups, I got thethin.net domain in March 1998 and
tried to host it on my own servers again. I had a T1 line to my house to handle
the traffic back then.  It got to be a hassle after a while and around 2000 I
went back to eGroups, Yahoo bought them and it became Thin at Yahoogroups until
about 2006 when I switched the group over to Freelists.org where it has been
ever since.

I sold thethin.net to 2X, when I got pre pancreatic  cancer in 2007 and could
not manage it any longer. However I did not sell the list. I had a whipple
procedure surgery the same surgery and at the same time Steve Jobs did in 2007.
I was out of work for 7 months and was only able to work 3 more years after I
did go back. I got diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in October 2010 and
retired a few months later because of my vision loss from the MS.  So for the
last several years I have been taking it easy. I still evaluated Server 2012,
Windows 8 and Office 2013 before everyone else and keep up on things as best as
I can even though I am retired.

Here is a great excerpt from an email I sent in 2010 about how to get archives
of the list:
 (oh and the answer to your question is the Thin list has been around for about
16 and 1/2 years!!)

Hi All,
With some changes Yahoo made recently to Yahoogroups, I have finally been able
to open up for viewing/searching the Thin List archives that have been saving
to Yahoogroups. Years ago (6/2002) I accidently set the list at Yahoo to
private and was never able to change it back because of yahoo.
It made it so no one could see the list, so I moved the list to Freelists,org.
But THIN kept archiving and having messages saved at Yahoogroups.

For those that don't know the Thin list has been around since early 1996. The
Thin.net Thin list was first on online website called Onelist, which got
purchased by Egroups whom got purchased by YahooGroups. The  archives of the
list pretty much stayed in place during these transitions.
The archives at Yahoo date all the way back until April 2000! The archives from
1996-2000 exist on the rare Thin Net archives CD that I produced years
ago, as I ran it on my own personal servers for those 3 years back in those
days.

Now EVERYONE can see, search and access the Yahoogroups Thin List archives!!
Over 143,000 messages!!
If you don't like the freelists archive search at
//www.freelists.org/archive/thin this is a new option for you.

So another version of the Thin List archives that dates back further than the
Freelists archives is available here:

AND
This also gives you an additional RSS feed to use for the list at
http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/thin/rss

(note that Freelists also has an RSS feed of the list at
http://feeds.feedburner.com/freelists-feeds/thin )

(ALSO Note you *can't *subscribe/unsubscribe or manage any of your settings to
the Thin list or do anything at Yahoo other than look at the
archives, you will still have to do all changes you want at Freelists.)

Hopefully this will give you all another great resource and choice for finding
answers from the archives. I am also hoping by opening the yahoo archives up
that they will also get better indexed in the Yahoo search engine.
Regards,
Jim Kenzig
Thin List Moderator
http://www.kenzig.com