[THIN] Re: How can I keep people from seeing my server

  • From: "Chris Lynch" <lynch00@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:49:36 -0700

No they can't hack into the CSG (unless you have the STA Ticket
Timeout configured too long).  The CSG uses a ticketing system, and
if you have the ticket authority exposed to the Internet, then yes
they could.

Even if you only have TCP 1494 and maybe 3389 open to the Internet, a
hacker could still get in.  Just search for ICA or Citrix at
http://neworder.box.sk and you will find quite a few docs on how to
hack/crash a Citrix server.  There are probably hotfixes for these
techniques, but do you really want to have your boss or the owner of
the company ask how someone had got into your systems via an ICA
connection, or RDP connection?

Look at the CSG to secure your environment.  It is probably the best
product out there, and it is EASY to setup.  If you want, I have not
only a document that explains how to install the CSG along with Nfuse
(which is required).

Also, you would have to upgrade the MF 1.8 server to Windows 2000 and
MF XP with FR2 in order to implement CSG 1.1.

Email me offline if you want to discuss this further.

CHRIS LYNCH -  MCSE, CCNA, CCA
NETWORK ENGINEER - INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
NRT Incorporated, 27271 Las Ramblas, Mission Viejo, CA 92691
Chris.lynch@xxxxxxxxxx  Tel 949.367.3406