[THIN] Re: Help with Publishing Desktop

  • From: Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 09:16:27 +1000

Hi

Appreciate the suggestions..  Think I will try the receiver option first as its
already installed on my servers and its a bit less involved..  Ive never used
the receiver before.  Do I need to configure it on each XenApp server?  Do I
need to create a PNAgent site for receiver to work?

Thanks
Ang

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 14:01:24 +0100
Subject: [THIN] Re: Help with Publishing Desktop
From: kz20fl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Try this method of using GPO Folder Redirection and NTFS permissions.

Redirect all your users via GPO to the same desktop area
(\\SERVER\SHARE\SharedDesktop)

Create shortcuts for all your applications on here

Turn on Access-Based Enumeration for the share

For each shortcut, modify the NTFS permissions so that only members of each
application AD group have access to the required shortcut (e.g. the group
MS_WORD is the only named group on the NTFS permissions of the Microsoft Word
shortcut)

Log your users in - bingo! They only see the desktop shortcuts that correspond
to AD group memberships.

You can also do this with the Start Menu

I blogged about it here, although this post uses AppSense to do the Folder
Redirection rather than GPO

http://appsensebigot.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/creating-locked-down-windows-2008-r2.html

Cheers,

JR

On 16 April 2013 13:52, Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

I'm looking to publish a XenApp 6.5 desktop.  Ive only ever used Published
Applications in the past.  The Desktop launches without any issues.  My
question is in relation to managing Applications.  What's the best way to
manage Applications in a Published Desktop?.  Users can see all the installed
Apps on the server but how would I give granular control.  Eg 1 user needs App
X, I don’t want all users to see App X.  Do I use the receiver which will allow
icons to be created on the desktop?.   Also what if the published Desktop is
launched on Server  1 but the user needs an App on Server 2? Is there a way for
the App to appear on the Published Desktop on Server 1 but the App launches
from Server 2?

Ideally Id like Apps to be generated on the desktop based on AD user group
membership.  What's the best practice in accomplishing this?

Thanks

Ang

--
James Rankin