[THIN] Re: Help with Publishing Desktop

  • From: James Rankin <kz20fl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 14:01:24 +0100

Try this method of using GPO Folder Redirection and NTFS permissions.

Redirect all your users via GPO to the same desktop area (
\\SERVER\SHARE\SharedDesktop <file://server/SHARE/SharedDesktop>)

Create shortcuts for all your applications on here

Turn on Access-Based Enumeration for the share

For each shortcut, modify the NTFS permissions so that only members of each
application AD group have access to the required shortcut (e.g. the group
MS_WORD is the only named group on the NTFS permissions of the Microsoft
Word shortcut)

Log your users in - bingo! They only see the desktop shortcuts that
correspond to AD group memberships.

You can also do this with the Start Menu

I blogged about it here, although this post uses AppSense to do the Folder
Redirection rather than GPO

http://appsensebigot.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/creating-locked-down-windows-2008-r2.html

Cheers,

JR