[THIN] Re: Help with Auto-Created Printers

  • From: "Ben Pelzer" <Ben.Pelzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 13:44:48 +0200

Jeff,

Did you look at
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX113261
and specifically
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX107415

I have had this issue several times and solved it with the
DefaultPrnFlags value set to 0x00800000
The only drawback that this option has, is that old printer names will
be retained in the users profile
So whenever you delete and/or rename a printer on the print servers you
will have to remove the corresponding registry key(s) for that printer
from the users profile
Not that hard to do with scripting or 3rd party stuff (eg AppSense or
PowerFuse), but extra administration non the less

Cheers,

Ben

Msg: #1 in digest
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 15:03:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeff Bolton <beatbox99@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [THIN] Help with Auto-Created Printers

I'm starting to pull my hair out, so I'm hoping someone here can help...
I have created a brand new farm running XenApp 5.0 for Windows Server
2003.  The farm consists of a Data Collector/License Server, 2
production application hosts and 2 development application hosts.
We have 10 print servers scattered throughout our enterprise and all of
them have been imported to the farm.
Login scripts on the DC's map the users printers, depending on their
office location, they should see anywhere from 5-30 printers
There are a few users who have local printers who would prefer to use
those than the network printers (HR, Payroll, etc)
No printer drivers other than those that came with Windows have been
installed - I prefer to use the Universal driver to avoid having to
install 50+ drivers on each of the servers

I have a single policy defined which contains nothing but printer
settings and used the server filter to apply it to all servers.

The policy is configured as follows:
Printing->Client Printers->Auto-Creation: Enabled - Auto-create all
client printers
Printing->Client Printers->Legacy client printers: Enabled - Create
dynamic session-private client printers
Printing->Client Printers->Printer properties retention: Enabled - Held
in profile only if not saved on client
Printing->Client Printers->Print job routing: Enabled - Always connect
indirectly as a client printer
Printing->Client Printers->Turn off client printer mapping: Not
Configured
Printing->Drivers->Native printer driver auto-install: Enabled - Do not
automatically install drivers
Printing->Drivers->Universal driver: Enabled - Use universal driver only
if requested driver is unavailable
Printing->Session printers: Enabled - Set default printer to the
client's main printer
I have nothing listed under the "Network printers to connect at logon"
section of the Session printers policy - Should there be anything here?

The default printer on my laptop is set to our "IT" printer.  When I run
Word from the web interface (I haven't tried the PNAgent yet, but we do
have users who use both) and select print, the printer selected as my
default appears to be the first one in the list (they seem to be sorted
alphabetically, which happens to be a Sales printer) rather than the
"IT" printer that it should be.

From the KB articles and the Citrix forums, it would appear that I've
set this up correctly, but it just doesn't seem to be working.  What am
I missing?????

Cheers
    Jeff

------
Scanned for Malware and Spam by Open Line Smart E-mail Filter

Follow ThinList on Twitter
http://twitter.com/thinlist
http://thinmaillist.blogspot.com
Thinlist MOBILE Feed