[THIN] Re: Help Request: Print Manager service keeps crashing on PS4 2003 server

  • From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 22:19:58 +1000

Hi Andy,

There's a later public hotfix, PSE400R01W2K3009 that has the latest and
greatest print manager. (unless of course an even later fix has cropped up that
I've missed). However be aware that if you're having print manager problems,
unless you reboot your server before installing the hotfixes, they may very
well not install properly.

Had a customer that installed all relevant hotfixes without curing their citrix
print manager issues. When we chacked the cpsvc.exe file it was still the
original PS4 rtm version, despite the fact that 3 or 4 hotfixes that all
updated cpsvc.exe showed as installed.

Great quality control when a hotfix says it's installed, the event log only has
informational messages, not errors or warnings that files were busy and
couldn't be replaced and things are still broken.

Please Citrix, learn how to make a hotfix!

There's also an ongoing problem with some of the newer HP printer drivers with
the offending part being the port monitors, hpdomon.dll in particular. We had a
particuarly bad time with an HP color laserjet 4650 postscript driver.
Interestingly the HP universal printer driver worked fine priniting to the 4650
in the same scenario. Citrix blame HP for what can only be regarded as poor
exception handling in the Citrix Print Manager.

Port monitors and other unforseen issues aside, Citrix have almost got it right
(I hope!). Wish I hadn't told people that they didn't need Thinprint now that
PS4 was out though. ThinPrint is just a way more mature product. For mature
read that it works reliably. Can't say the same for the cpsvc just yet.

Adding the Citrix sma user to the admin group isn't going to help a lot. Though
having said that, on some problem sites I've had major improvement in stability
by using System for the service logon account. Citrix support told me it could
make things worse but that's not what I've experienced. That's two different
opinions so make up your own mind.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack