[THIN] Hardware Question for BLADE Users IBM and HP:

  • From: Thin Fan <thinfan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:43:54 -0800

For best performance in larger environments (Citrix), it is best
practice to make sure that the SCSI RAID Controller has Battery Backed
Write Cache enabled, for the fastest writes to disk.

This becomes very evident when you surpass 50+ heavy users on a Citrix
Server and start to encounter the LAG or DELAY while the Server is
flushing the Registry.

BBWC will fix this and we have implemented said fix on our HP 360's,
380's and HP BL20p's.

We were curious if the same options are available on Blade Servers
from IBM?  When we casually asked, it was noted that IBM Blade RAID
controllers do not offer BBWC.

Can anyone of you confirm this for me based on your own experiences
with Blade Technology (HP and IBM)?

Thanks for any info,

Thinfan
This Weeks Sponsor: RTO Software TScale
Services running Windows NT, 2000 or 2003.
http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id=296