[THIN] Re: HP G4 Servers

  • From: Euan Cooper <Euan.Cooper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:43:03 +1200

I think you need to re-read the url Malcolm provided ....

"To utilize the System memory that is normally reserved for the Intel
chipset and other PCI devices accessible to the operating system when
exactly 4 GB of memory is installed, updated System ROMs have been released
that will remap the 512 MB lost to PCI memory above 4 GB. Upgrade the System
ROM in the ProLiant DL360 G4, ProLiant DL380 G4, ProLiant ML350 G4 or
ProLiant ML370 G4 server to a version dated later than 8/26/2004, or the
ProLiant BL20p G3 server to a version dated later than 11/11/04.

32-bit versions of the Microsoft Windows operating systems require enabling
PAE to access memory above 4 GB. Enabling PAE mode results in a very slight
performance penalty. This potential performance penalty is normal behavior
for 32-bit operating systems that support the PAE 36-bit physical addressing
mode to access memory above 4 GB because processes running in these
environments have 32-bit pointers and the operating system must manage and
translate physical memory addresses above 4 GB so that the applications can
use it. The application support model being used in these operating system
environments determine whether enabling PAE mode to gain access to the 512
MB memory that is lost wil provide a performance benefit."