[THIN] Re: HELP! Post Active Directory Nightmare !!! PROBLEM SOLVED.

  • From: "Chris Lynch" <lynch00@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 12:18:49 -0700

What I can figure is that someone wanted to disable NetBIOS either on
your network, or on the local server.  Possibily along with selecting
"Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" in the local TCP/IP properties, they also
changed the service to Manual.  The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service is
required even if you have NetBIOS disabled.  This service allows the
system to connect to other Windows 2000/XP machines on NetBIOS port 139.
Even though you have "Diable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" selected, only means
that the machine will not use NetBIOS to "browse" for a machine with
either a direct WINS query or a local NetBT broadcast.  Also, if this
service is not working properly, or not started, the RDR, SRV, Netlogon
and Messanger service would not start or work properly.

I have never come across an issue with the "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Service" being corrupt, or even set to Manual.

Just my $0.02.

CHRIS LYNCH -  MCSE, CCNA, CCA
NETWORK ENGINEER - INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
NRT Incorporated, 27271 Las Ramblas, Mission Viejo, CA 92691
Chris.lynch@xxxxxxxxxx  Tel 949.367.3406