[THIN] Re: Group Policy help

  • From: "Mack, Rick" <RMack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:19:53 +1000

Hi,

I suspect there's a bit to much magic in loopback processing, so I'd like to
try to unmuddy the waters a bit with a simplistic view of how things work.

The basic issue is that you have to be an object "in" an an OU (container)
so that a group policy object (GPO) applied to to that container can apply
to you.

Think of an OU as a circle. If you're inside the circle, any group policy
belonging to that circle applies to you (security filtering aside).

Normally if you log on to a machine belonging to a particular container
(machine OU), you are not "entering" the circle (machines OU), so only the
implemented machine policies will have any effect on you, no machine OU user
configuration policies will apply.

When you log on to a machine belonging to an OU with loopback processing
enabled you are "entering" the machine container and it's user configuration
policies will apply to you.

As an aside, loopback processing mode for a GPO is set under computer
configuration > administrative templates > system > group policy > Use group
policy loopback processing mode.

There are some special considerations with loopback processing.

You can choose either "replace" or "merge" modes for loopback processing.
Replace mode behaves like a standard GPO with "block inheritence" enabled,
merge mode means the GPO works just like a standard GPO. For replace mode,
this means that if any GPO's are set to "enforce" upstream from the machine
OU, these settings will override any settings in the machine OU.

"Enforce" means ignore block inheritence, and means that the default
loopback processing replace mode can be ignored in part or fully. This can
cause a lot of pain.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack