[THIN] Ghosting Windows 2003

  • From: Aaron Simms <aaron.simms@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:58:30 -0600

Greg,

The first thing to check is the raid controllers. If they are different
you have your work cut out for you. You will have to get the drivers for
the new raid controller installed on the server before ghosting. I have
done this with W2K and Dell servers using an additional raid controller
and an external drive array. It was a pain and took a lot of time but it
worked and plug and play handled all of the other differences.

There is a great step by step procedure on the Citrix website and you will
need to sysprep the new server before attaching it to the network.

Aaron Simms MCSE,CCA,CCSP
Network Engineer
Pemstar Inc.
Aaron.simms@xxxxxxxxxxx
507-535-4334

----- Forwarded by Aaron Simms/RCH/AM/PEMSTAR Inc on 01/21/2004 10:52 AM
-----

"Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
01/21/2004 10:38 AM
Please respond to thin

        To:     <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        [THIN] Ghosting Windows 2003

I am adding a server to my farm.  An IBM x335.  My existing servers are
two IBM x330 and an IBM Netfinity 7000.  The 335 is already installed and
running with Windows 2003 and Metaframe XPa FR3.  I have some users
testing it and it may get a few more tweaks, but otherwise it is all set.

If I ghost it and restore the image onto the x330 servers, will it
recognize and fix the hardware differences?  They are not that different
but there are differences.  Then I am assuming there needs to be some
renaming etc before I plug them back into the network.  They will be
keeping their old windows 2000 names.  I am just trying to get them
running on Windows 2003 and I really don't feel like re-installing
everything by hand three more times.

Am I out of my mind with this approach or is this possible?

Thanks!

Greg

This Week's Sponsor - Emergent Online 99Point9.com
EOL THINssentials? Bring You TRUE Universal Printing Solutions
and Time Zone Support. EOL delivers any print job, any
time zone, to any client, over Any protocol (ICA or RDP)!
http://www.99point9.com/public/products/index.asp

GIF image