[THIN] Re: Generally speaking - hardware

  • From: "Beckett, William (Bill)" <WBECKETT@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:35:44 -0400

Good post.

Thanks for the input

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Joe Shonk
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 2:05 PM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: Generally speaking - hardware

Interesting analysis...  Again everything depends on the workload.

                I would disagree with 40 users being unusual.   I would
expect at least that much for smaller applications.   Office 2003 scales
quite nicely.

                Yes a 32-bit OS has a hard limit of 4GB (2 GB kernel and
2 GB user).  The 2GB kernel is fixed and once you've hit that limit then
you have to scale up (x64 virtualization ) or out (additional HW or
virtualization).  The 2 GB usermode limit can overcome by switching to
w2k3 Enterprise and utilizing the /PAE switch.  Yes there is additional
overhead associated to but the benefit clearly outweighs the costs.  A
few of the industries leading experts will tell you that 16gb is the
sweet spot for those heavy hitting applications.

                64-bit isn't always the answer.  There are technical
challenges that still need to be address in this arena.  Second,
(workload permitting) you will get a higher user density on a w2k3
Enterprise x32 server than the equivalent x64 configured server.

                It's interesting to note that we expect our TS to run
x64 but no effort has been made by organizations to run x64 versions of
Windows XP or Windows Vista.  And somehow we expect to transition those
applications to x64 world in a TS environment.

Joe