[THIN] Re: General Question

  • From: "Landin, Mark" <Mark.Landin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:35:44 -0500

> Hello to everyone in [THIN] land, I have a question regarding
> this group. We use MS Terminal Services, for various reasons
> we will not be going to Citrix Anytime soon, (The boss says
> 'We make tile, we are not a tech company...), so We are kind
> of stuck here, so my question is this, this group seems to
> focus mainly On Citrix, is there a better group for MSTS?

No. This is the best forum I know for any thin-client computing
technology, whether it's Citrix, just plain TS, Tarantella, or something
else.

> Or is there a real 'cheap' version Of Citrix?

You probably don't need Citrix unless you are running NT4 Terminal
Services. Even Windows 2000 TS can do a lot of useful things, and 2003
does even a few more.

Looking at your follow-up post, the first thing you MUST do is go remove
the Shutdown right from the users! This can be done in the Local
Security Policy editor. If necessary, give the shutdown right only to
administrators. (If your users are in the administrators group, then I
suggest you look for other employment because you will not enjoy
adminning a Terminal Server system in that situation!)

Second, it is possible to do roaming profiles correctly, and for free.
:) Check the Flex Profiles kit. Search for it at www.thethin.net.

There are probably lots of other "free" things you can do to make your
life easier. Citrix would not be required. Scour www.thethin.net and
keep looking at the mailing lists.