[THIN] Re: GPO spyware and unwanted Programs from IE

  • From: Jeremy Saunders <jeremy.saunders@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:14:20 +0800

I thought only Power Users, Domain Admins and Administrators could install
ActiveX apps.

Lock down your file system and registry, but I have found that the file
system is critical for this stuff. For example, Authenticated Users should
only have Read access to the Program Files folder, etc. If a user has write
access, then they have the ability to install spyware.

Cheers,
Jeremy.

             "Jim Kenzig
             Kenzig.com"
             <jkenzig@xxxxxxxx                                          To
             m>                        thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             thin-bounce@freel
             ists.org                                              Subject
                                       [THIN] Re: GPO spyware and unwanted
                                       Programs from IE
             27/01/2005 01:03
             AM

             Please respond to
                   thin

ActiveX?

Joanne Determann <joanne.determann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 I have 3 Citrix  internet Kiosks. And it looks like my GPO is not doing
 the job prohibiting programs being installed through IE and blocking
 search engine hijackers etcâ I found a Online Poker game installed on the
 MF server.

 Any clue where my hole is? Thanks,Joanne