[THIN] Re: GP change are adding software resetting office XP

  • From: Frank Monroe <Frank.Monroe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 11:39:01 -0400

To respond to my own post.  Let me clarify what the real issue is that I
don't think that KB article explains.  The issue is that when an
administrator logs onto the server, all pre-login processing such as logon
scripts, GPO and stuff in the RunOnce key (basically any registry changes)
are handled in install mode.  Because of this, subsequent user logins cause
the settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Terminal Server\Install\SOFTWARE to be applied to each
users individual registry.

By the way, this is also the same reason why you don't need to worry about
putting the server in install mode before you reboot after you install stuff
like Internet Explorer.

Frank