[THIN] Fwd: Shared Computer Toolkit Public Beta Now Completed

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://Kenzig.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jim Blogger <jkenzig.blog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:10:14 -0700 (PDT)

I just received the following from Microsoft.  The XP Shared Computer Toolkit
is out of beta and is now available!
JK

Thank you for participating in the Public Beta program for the Microsoft Shared
Computer Toolkit for Windows XP. We received tremendous interest in the product
and collected lots of valuable product feedback. We appreciate your input.

As a Public Beta participant, we want to make sure you are aware that version
1.0 of the Shared Computer Toolkit is available for download at no additional
charge for genuine Windows XP customers.* You can access the new release today
at www.microsoft.com/sharedaccess.
In addition to customary bug fixes, version 1.0 has some exciting new features
that we included because of feedback from customers like you. The following
points highlight improvements made to version 1.0:Toolkit Administrators can
now easily view the status of Windows Disk Protection
It is no longer necessary to write scripts to automate the anti-virus update
process when Windows Disk Protection is enabled

Several new restrictions have been added to the User Restrictions tool, and
some restrictions have been moved within the tool

Customers with Active Directory domains can apply the Toolkit?s user
restrictions to domain accounts with a Group Policy template

Many international issues have been resolved, to ensure that the Toolkit
operates properly on non-English versions of Windows XP

The graphical user interface (GUI) was improved based on usability feedback

The ?Windows Restrictions? tool was renamed ?User Restrictions?

The ?User Profile? tool was renamed ?Profile Manager?

We are very excited about this release of the Shared Computer Toolkit and hope
you will find it to be a valuable tool for improving the security and
reliability of shared computers.

Please read the download page carefully for new prerequisites, installation
instructions and known issues. You should also read the Beta upgrade notes if
you will be installing the Toolkit on a computer that had the Public Beta
installed.

Lastly, while the Public Beta program is over, we still want to collect
feedback from our customers on our public newsgroup. This feedback will play an
important part in determining what future versions of this product look like.

Thanks very much,
The Shared Computer Toolkit Team

* You must complete genuine Windows validation on each computer on which you
intend to install and run the Shared Computer Toolkit.

©2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Microsoft, Active Directory,
Windows, and the Windows logo are either
registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United
States and/or other countries.