[THIN] Re: Floppy Seeking in MetaFrame XP

  • From: Sean Carr <pne1881@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:49:58 +0000 (GMT)

Many thanks for the replies on this subject!

Quick recap: the "Floppy Seeking issue" is that some of the users
need floppy access thru Citrix but all users are not too happy with
the floppy being accessed if they log into Citrix, go to My
Computer, or do a File, Open in an application - especially the
Windows 98 clients, where the problem "floppy seeking" is at it
worst - often causing a 15 second delay.

I want to have my cake and eat it too :)

The nearest solution I've found to was the following:

Not to map client drives on logon. Users have shortcuts on their
desktop or start menu that link to \\client\A$. So:
NET USE A: \\CLIENT\A$

And this works exactly as needed (!) for a full desktop with no
complaints but didn't work (aaarrrghh!) for Published Apps (which is
what I have). The Pubished App in this case was a batch file with
the NET USE A: \\CLIENT\A$ line in it.

Why does this solution work for a user logged onto the desktop and
not for Published Apps? Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Bye for now,
Sean Carr
Techniche Ltd.

This Weeks Sponsor Pearl Software