[THIN] Re: Feedback

  • From: Euan Cooper <Euan.Cooper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 10:47:44 +1200

Ultimately I think it would come down to ease of use/cost.

The same basic function as your desktop replacement can be achieved with a
Linux/DOS/Win9x client running a restricted desktop in conjunction with the
PN agent to push the apps to the users[1]  or just the PN agent and a
striped down Win32 OS or with Nfuse/WI.  Each of these options involves a
bit of time and effort to get working the way you want and in some cases
have licensing issues for the base OS that might need to be addressed.  If
your solution is simpler to set-up/administer and at the right price there
definitely is a market for it - though not in our environment.

Not so sure about your second product the office desktop.  There already are
a number of "free" office suites out there - why not just Install/set-up
Open Office on your terminal Servers?

As for your third product - now you are talking! This is a product that
could have a place in our environment - at the right price of course.  User
Profile admin is a significant pain, there have been many
enhancements/improvements over the years but this may solve a few
outstanding ones.

Other Admins with different environments/requirements may have differing
opinions but that's my 2c worth

-Ec

1 I seem to recall a recent thread on The ThinNet list about doing just this