[THIN] Re: FW: THE THIN LIST You may get this message twice

  • From: George Yobst <george2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 12:15:52 -0700

My vote is to stick with Freelists.
I can't even get the verification email from Topica to get signed up there!
-George

Jim Kenzig http://thethin.net wrote:
Here is what has happened.  On Saturday July 5th Freelists site had a major
lightning strike and their message on their site made things look really
bleak. Thy have been down since Saturday and JUST came up.

In my desperation to reestablish the Thin List I tried to find a comparable
service. I first tried coolists.com but found that their interface and
options just would not work..autoreplies went to the list etc. and there was
no way to turn them off. Then I tried Smartgroups...no go...they did not
have a vacation/read only mode.  So I settled on Topica.com.

The good folks at topica.com JUST finished adding all of the users I had to
the list. We ended up with 1437 subscribers.
There were 2710 members at freelists but HALF of them have their
subscription set to vacation mode. Which means they do not participate
anyways.

We have two choices.

1. Stick with Freelists
or
2. Go to Topica.com

The benefits of freelists are there are no ads in the archives or on the web pages. The benefits of Topica are that there is not that stupid =20 problem and that there is an unsubscribe link on each message.

Both have a digest mode, both have a vacation mode

Or possible there is a third option.

We can stick with freelists and keep the Topica list up as a backup if
freelists goes down again.

What is the general consensus?

Regards,
Jim Kenzig
Moderator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- George Yobst, Library Technology Analyst phone: 503.723.4890 Library Information Network of Clackamas County fax: 503.794.8238 16239 SE McLoughlin Blvd, Suite 208 web: http://www.lincc.lib.or.us Oak Grove, OR 97267-4654 email: george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx "...it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn what he thinks he already knows." - Epictetus

This weeks sponsor - RTOSoft TScale Complaints about applications response time - DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!
http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id=130