[THIN] Re: FW: Re: WBT recommendations for a very specific project

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 08:23:51 -0400

That does change things.  I am running into the same issues with =
Wireless in nursing homes.  In all of my research, I found the Proxim =
Harmony line to offer better security.  Their 802.11a product is =
especially nice.  Both their 802.11b and a lines can be run through a =
central controller unit which sits in your rack.  It allows you to set =
the WEP keys and everything else for the access points as a group.  You =
can also feed it a mac address list of devices that are allowed on the =
network.  If a wireless card is not on the list, it doesn't get access.  =
It won't stop the determined attacker (nothing will) but it will keep =
the kiddies out of your hair.

Symbol makes some nice thin clients that have wireless built in and are =
sealed for harsh environments.  www.symbol.com/mobile follow the link =
for vehicle mounted systems.  They're designed for forklifts but the =
mount really well to medical carts and nurses stations.  Nurses also =
have a hard time breaking them and those of you in healthcare know that =
nurses can break anything.

Greg