[THIN] Re: FW: Re: Performance of Citrix vs RDP for images

  • From: "Rick Mack" <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 04:15:31 -0400

Hi People,

Provision Network's developers have pushed the boundaries a bit further in
the RDP vs ICA story.

Patrick Rouse has a YouTube demo that shows what we can do at:

http://blogs.inside.quest.com/provision/2008/06/13/rdp-bitmap-and-flash-acceleration/
They've told me that OpenGL and progressive display are next and not too far
away. Admittedly what you're seeing is alpha/beta code, but it really shows
what can be done.

I guess the most relevant point to make to the whole community is that the
RDP (ours at any rate) vs ICA story is getting pretty interesting and it's
definitely not one-sided anymore.

If you're comparing us to Citrix, it's important to note that Provision
started by providing software to fix holes in the Citrix product. We may not
yet have the core infrastructure to scale as far as Citrix, but we've
covered all the pain points that Citrix have largely ignored and we've had
them covered for a quite a while.

That's why we've got the best UPD solution on the market when you consider
stuff like font handling and print quality. That's why we've got application
restrictions, profile management, USB PDA support, scriptable time zone
assignment, really good bi-directional audio, Softgrid integration etc.

Our lead in the VDI race means we support VMware, Parallels Virtuozzo,
Virtual Iron, Microsoft Hyper-V and shortly SCVMM. Xen is there but pretty
low down on the list of priorities.

Of course there's also a single integrated management console because you
need to have a single point of contact to manage your virtual desktop
infrastructure.

We don't do hardware and we don't have a cool name for our product, but
we're totally focussed on continual improvement so we'll have the best
virtual desktop solution on the market.

Watch this space :-)

regards,

Rick