[THIN] Re: FW: Re: Determining which user a TS 2003 per-device CA L li cense is issued to

  • From: "Leone, Michael" <MLeone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:13:19 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Thomas [mailto:jeremy.thomas@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 3:52 AM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: FW: Re: Determining which user a TS 2003 per-device CA L
li cense is issued to

First thoughts were:
http://is-it-true.org/nt/atips/atips155.shtml
<http://is-it-true.org/nt/atips/atips155.shtml>

Logon type 2 is a console logon, so no I would not expect to see an IP
address, as the "network source address" would be the local machine.
However, I didn't find a description of the Logon type 10 that I got.

This article throws some light on that:
http://www.winnetmag.com/WindowsSecurity/Article/ArticleID/38109/38109.html
<http://www.winnetmag.com/WindowsSecurity/Article/ArticleID/38109/38109.html

In Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP, Microsoft added a new logon type
specifically for Terminal Services logons. When users log on through
Terminal Services, event ID 528 shows Logon Type 10 instead of Logon Type 2.
You can identify Terminal Services logons that failed because of a bad
username or password by looking for event ID 529 with Logon Type 10.

It would imply that you're either using W2000, where you don't get the
client IP address information,

MJL: You mean Win2000 for the TS? Nope; it's a Win2K3 server. And the user
is not accessing from a Win2K machine; it's XP Home.

  or that you've managed to pick a console logon event.

MJL: Nope; this person is not on-site, and there isn't access to the console
(or shouldn't be). This was not a console login.

Here's a definite console login (I know, because it was me):

Successful Logon:
User Name: Administrator
Domain:  MIKE-DOMAIN
Logon ID: (0x0,0xAD187)
Logon Type: 2
Logon Process: NWGINA
Authentication Package: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
Workstation Name:  MIKE-SERVER
Logon GUID: -
Caller User Name:  MIKE-SERVER $
Caller Domain:  MIKE-DOMAIN
Caller Logon ID: (0x0,0x3E7)
Caller Process ID: 560
Transited Services: -
Source Network Address: -
Source Port: -

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp
<http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp> .

And here's another definitely non-console login (I know, because I was still
in the server room, in front of the console, at the time):

Successful Logon:
User Name:  USER-NAME
Domain:  MIKE-DOMAIN
 Logon ID: (0x0,0x10EBC4)
Logon Type: 2
Logon Process: NWGINA
Authentication Package: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
Workstation Name:  MIKE-SERVER
Logon GUID: -
Caller User Name:  MIKE-SERVER$
Caller Domain:  MIKE-DOMAIN
Caller Logon ID: (0x0,0x3E7)
Caller Process ID: 3708
Transited Services: -
Source Network Address: -
Source Port: -

(BTW - how did you post the date & time on your log entries? I.e.,