[THIN] Re: FW: Printer Ports are going the way of the Dodo?

  • From: "Jan Broucinek" <tinybeetle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:52:43 -0400

RE: [THIN] FW: Printer Ports are going the way of the Dodo?I have to disagree.
We have been too brainwashed into the mentality of "I have to have it since it
is newer, faster, or more powerful." If you have a product, device, or software
that does the job you need it to do, does not hinder you from doing things you
want to do, and does it with sufficient speed and easy of use, then there is no
need to upgrade. At the point that one of these becomes a factor, then and only
then is it time to investigate options.

Up until a year ago, my primary PC at home was a P133 with 32MB of RAM. I used
it for Word Processing and internet access. I didn't care if Word opened in 20
seconds, vs. 5 seconds. It did the job I needed it to do. I upgraded when I
needed more power for video editing.

I still have an IBM 386 PS2 tower running DOS. It has a 20MB hard drive (lol).
It operates our electronic door system. I have an original Compaq lunchbox PC
that is used as the console for our phone system. Since our company runs
Citrix, as long as I can get windows up on a PC with at least 256 colors and
decent network and video refresh rates, I don't care what the hardware is like.
The user sees what the Citrix server is doing, not their desktop machine.

Up until about 6 months ago I had an HPII and an HPIII in use on my network.
They would still be in use today if I could have upgraded the memory for less
hassle than buying an HP1200.

I have monitors that are 5 years old in use in my network. The only reason to
replace them is if they die. The same goes for the HP4, 5, 6 and similar series
of printers. I certainly would never buy a PC or thin client device that didn't
have a VGA, parallel, and serial port on it.

I will let my dollars do the speaking for me. When I go to purchase, if the
vendor doesn't support my hardware needs, they won't get my business. Someone
else will.

Jan Broucinek, System Manager
Arthur Rutenberg Homes, Inc.
(727) 536-5900 voice