[THIN] FW: Copying profiles from old Terminal Server to new Terminal Server

  • From: "Leone, Michael" <MLeone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:15:24 -0500

OK, allow me to display my ignorance here ...
I have a Win2K TS on site, and I am preparing to replace it with a more
powerful model, running Win2003 TS. But I'm unclear as to how I can copy the
user profiles from the old machine to the new machine. I mean, I see the
COPY TO button, on the USER PROFILES tab of the SYSTEM PROPERTIES in CONTROL
PANEL. And I can even go browse for the new TS. But how does the copy
happen, to the right place on the new server? These are all LOCAL profiles,
BTW, on the old TS. Not using a GPO (yet) on the TS.

This is the first time I've had to do anything like this. Do I just create a
new share on the Win2003 machine, and copy the profile there? But then, how
does the user account know to access that new location as it's profile, when
it logs in, via TS? Do I need to first set that profile location in AD, in
the USER PROFILE section of the TERMINAL SERVICES tab for each user?

New and confused,
Michael

Michael Leone, Systems Administrator
Philadelphia Contributionship
210 S. 4th Street, Philadelphia, PA  19106
<mailto:mleone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
V: 215-627-1752 x1282
F: 215-627-5354

This weeks sponsor Emergent Online.