[THIN] Re: Exchange 2007 and Citrix

  • From: "Berny Stapleton" <berny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 17:11:12 +0100

Just a bit of background on this:

Cached mode changes around the way that MAPI works, the biggest benefit here
is remote users, especially ones running ActiveSync.

If you have users who have a continual active sync running, when running
cached mode, this syncs with Outlook only. If you turn off cached mode, the
MAPI service is continually connecting back to the exchange service, which
means that each user chews through about 256K worth of bandwidth. MS's
figure was that each Outlook client uses about 9.6K of bandwidth, but I am
not sure where this figure came from and under what conditions. This might
work on average, but it's still burst traffic (File attachments etc aren't
streamed at low speed).

There was synchronised folders previously that allowed offline access,
cached mode took it a step further and changed around the way that MAPI
works.

Berny